Natomas Follies

VSB - very slow build

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Beginning, Part 2

So how long have I been flying?  After college in the early 90's I landed a job in Fresno, California and found my way to a little place called the California Pilot Shop at the Fresno Airport that rented out a couple of Cessnas and a twin-engine Piper.  You never forget your first plane, and I'll always remember calling out "November five-zero-five Charlie Alpha ready to taxi with Echo".  Aircraft rental was $40/hr and instruction was $20/hr, and I passed my check ride in about 50 hours of instruction and solo.  $3k for a pilots license.  Pretty cheap eh?!  You'll see THAT theme over and over again!

I lived in Fresno for about three years before making my way back to Sacramento, during which I added another 100 hours or so to my log book and about that many landings.  Cessna's are easy to fly and Fresno is one of the best airports for a beginner to train at.  Flight communications are one of the hardest things to master, and Fresno offers the opportunity to work with ATC in "sorta" busy airspace without the impatient controllers and craziness of busy and complicated airspace like the Bay Area or L.A.

After moving back to Sacramento I met my lovely future wife at church, bought a house and pursued other interests until the time was right to get ready to go back up.  Well, the time is come!

No comments:

Post a Comment