Natomas Follies

VSB - very slow build

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Another AST Oops

Page 8-3 has you disassemble a length of piano hinge by removing the hinge pin and then trimming the two halves to the prescribed length.  Then you drill 33 evenly-spaced holes to match the pre-punched holes on the AST skin and spar.  To drill the holes in just the right place Van's provides a nifty drilling template shown in the picture:
The bottom hinge half is the one I drilled before I carefully read the instructions.  The top hinge half is the way it was supposed to be drilled - with one row of holes, not two. 

Another 15 bucks down the drain.  Sigh.

Warning to other builders:  Before you start on this, use a Sharpie to cross out the upper row of holes on the drilling template.  If you're a tired it's entirely possible to repeat the above "oops" again.  Don't ask me how I know.  And if we ever meet - don't bring it up.  It's embarassing.

I'm trying to decide whether to include the cost of my screw-ups in the cost tally -- it's not really fair to Van's to inflate the airplane building cost.  The CFO says "Yes."  "Definitely yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment