Natomas Follies

VSB - very slow build

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween Downpour

Our neighborhood was swarmed last night with ninja warriors, vampires, princesses and trick-or-treaters dressed up as teenagers too lazy to put on a costume.  The problem with having generous neighbors is that ghouls and bandits from miles away are bussed in to collect a share of the loot.  Then at 8:30, after my kid returned with her cut of the action and three large bags of candy were just about gone, a storm front moved in that soaked the area for about five or ten minutes.  You could hear the cries and screams a block away.  Heh heh heh.  A steady drizzle afterwards meant that the Halloween blackmail was over and I could open up the airplane factory for a couple hours.

80 rivets later the aft stab skins are attached and it's time to attach the stab horns.
One of the bolt holes on the lower horn did not line up perfectly with the nut plate inside the spar box so I had to elongate one hole slightly in order to get the bolt in the nut plate without risking a cross-threaded bolt.  Really hated to mar the powder coat finish on the steel stab horns but it was necessary since moving the nut plate was out of the question.  I think it will be okay.  I'm probably not the first one who's done this.  If I had a do-over I would have taken much better care to center the nut plates for the horn bolts exactly before the spar box is riveted together.
The stab counterweight arm is put back on temporarily in order to attach lead counterweights, which I'll do tonight.

1 comment:

  1. "Then at 8:30, after my kid returned with her cut of the action and three large bags of candy were just about gone, a storm front moved in that soaked the area for about five or ten minutes. You could hear the cries and screams a block away. Heh heh heh. A steady drizzle afterwards meant that the Halloween blackmail was over and I could open up the airplane factory for a couple hours."

    Seriously, laughing my head off. Love ya, Bro!

    ReplyDelete