Natomas Follies

VSB - very slow build

Friday, October 17, 2014

Big Hole, Small Wires

After riveting the main wing skins next up was to install several oddly-shaped skins and ribs that make up the wing tip.  The top ones went on and then it was time to turn the wing over (again, with assistance from neighbor Ken) and close it out with the bottom wing tip skin.

I'm also installing nav lights for night flying, so I needed to cut a hole in the bottom wing tip skin.  Since the wing-tip lights and landing light installation instructions were originally intended to be retrofitted onto a completed wing, Vans instructs builders to cut a fist-sized hole in the bottom skin to order to get a hand in there and fish through wires needed for the lights.  But cutting odd shapes like the one on the provided template into sheet metal ain't that easy.  Furthermore, the big hole is only needed if you are retrofitting the lights and need to get your arm in there to pull wires through.  If you're not doing a retrofit, and you haven't yet closed out (riveted on) the bottom tip skin, then a small drill hole, say 3/8", to pass lighting wires should be sufficient.  In my opinion Vans should have provided a small hole option for builders who are installing lights as they build and finish out the wing.  Alas they did not, and are not likely going to. Since deviation from the plans is not allowed under the ELSA airplane category, I'm stuck cutting a fairly large odd-shaped hole in the wingtip bottom skin whose purpose will be to simply pass three small wires to the wingtip strobe/nav light.

On the Vans Air Force RV-12 forum (thread link here), I posed the question on whether a small hole could be used instead of the big hole.  The answer I got from the unofficial factory rep who monitors forum postings was this:
The answer is really pretty simple... would the hole match what the plans say to do?  If not, then it is not per plans.  So it is obvious, the answer is no.
Would an inspector be able to see it wasn't?  Probably not.  Does that make it right?  You will have to decide that one for your self....
And that's the final word on that.  Scott (aka rvbuilder2002 on the forum) is right of course, so big hole it is.  Sigh.  But really, IMHO Vans should have provided optional/alternative plan instructions for a small hole.  Feel free to comment below if you disagree.  I'll get the flame suit on.  Who knows, maybe it'll help out the next builder who reads this.  Or help me feel better about cutting a 14 square inch hole just to pass three small wires.

    Now on to the pictures.  This is a pic with the top wing tip skins and tip rib riveted on.

     Here is the wing turned upside down (inverted) again.

    Here's the wing tip bottom skin with the hole that I wanted to use.

And here is the bottom wing tip skin with the Vans-supplied template sized hole.  I used a unibit, metal snips, drill with 2-inch sanding drum attachment, and of course the deburring tool.  Helps that the radii of the cutout corners are about 1 inch (same as the sanding drum).  I ended up spending way too much time sanding down to the marked line so for the left wing I'm definitely using the sheet metal nibbler that worked so well on the landing light hole.

The tabs at the top need to be bent down at specific angles in order to match the other tip skins.  A bending tool fabricated from plywood is used to make the bends.  Most of the bends are 30 degrees, some are more and some are less. 30 of the tabs are bent at 30°(nice symmetry eh?), 9 are 31°, 4 are 17°, 3 are 32°, 2 are 28°, and one bend each at 16°, 19°, 20°, 21°, 22°, 24°, 25°, 35°, 41°, 51°, 82°, and 116°, as we shall see a little further on.


Click to enlarge
Personally I think Van's draftsman was having too much fun with this plans page. One degree of bend angle on a half-inch tab is less than 1/100th of an inch -- barely measurable. If the bend is within +/- 5° it'll work. Some builders have some pretty fancy angle-measuring tools but I used my daughter's $2 protractor to mark and cut a bunch of business cards for checking the bend angles.

Bending, checking, and sometimes re-bending all those skin tabs was tedious and I kept putting it off but eventually I got 'em all done.  The result is that the bottom wing tip skin fit like a glove.  I wasn't sure about the location for the bend line for the last tab on the trailing end (and also remember reading something about it on the VAF forum), so I trial-fit the skin onto the wing to visualize how it should go before actually bending it with the tool.  I'm glad I did because the desired bend line is not where I initially thought it'd be.

Above right is a picture of the final aft-most tab without the bend, and the picture to the left shows the bend in the tab.












Finally it was time to cleco on the bottom tip skin for an hour-long session with the pop-rivet squeezer.  Can you tell which tab got the 116° bend?
Below is a pic with the bottom tip skin fully riveted on:

Three rivet holes are left open where a wing tip fairing for the nav-strobe light will be fastened.  The fiberglass fairing will also cover up the access hole.   The open rivet holes are marked No, No, & No, which is what I say to people who ask if the plane is almost done yet.

I saved the leftover rivet mandrels beginning from where I started riveting the first wing skin and then counted 'em up.  It takes 2,128 pop-rivets to skin a wing on the RV-12.




6 comments:

  1. That wingtip looks beautiful! Is the 116 degree bend the one on the LE of the tip? The FAA is *very* particular about everything being per drawing at certification... I'm not part of the organization that gets our planes certified, but I do get to see some of the nonsense that goes in to making them painstakingly per drawing... remove all the toilet paper from the lavs, take the garbage bags out of the trash cans and so forth. So... in the LSA world, once you finish your airplane, does it have to be inspected by the PMI out of the local FSDO before it can receive it's airworthiness certificate, or is there some other process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... not sure what a PMI is. Usually a DAR does the inspection and sign-off (Designated Airworthiness Representative). Correct on the bend angle. Despite the occasional annoyance, Van's kits are great. Everything just fits.

      Delete
  2. Okay, that makes sense. PMI is Principal Maintenance Inspector - He's the guy who would come to make sure my school was operating per our part 145 certificate, go do shop checks to make sure folks are operating legally and go to crash sites as needed... Not a job I'd want.

    On a different note, do you think you'll be working much on the airplane between Christmas and New Years? The reason I ask is I have a couple of weeks off from work around that time and if you would like I could come down for a few days and give you a hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With this project it's kinda hard to plan that far out. When I have the time and energy I work on it, and if I don't I don't. But I think the left wing will probably be done by Christmas.

      The next kit is the fuselage kit. Really I should be ordering it now because it takes Vans 6 - 8 weeks to fill and ship the order. But it's an expensive kit ($5,500), so I'm waiting 'til 1) I have more cash available, and 2) I file my 2014 tax return(s) and get my tax refund(s). Ordering the fuse kit will be motivation to get my taxes done early instead of waiting 'til April 14 as usual. When you procrastinate like I do you have to play these mind games with yourself or nothing gets done.

      Anyway, after I get the kit, inventory everything, and find a place(s) to store all the parts, I could probably use the help of an A&P mechanic to get going on the fuselage. That would be next spring.

      Delete
  3. *147 certificate - I just completed a class at work about repair station operations, so that's probably why I said 145...

    Sounds good! Whenever you're ready just send me a message on FB :)

    So the wings are almost done and you're getting ready to buy the fuselage kit... That sounds really exciting!

    Will you be getting a fixed pitch or constant speed prop?

    I was just looking around the Vans website... those engines are expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prop for an ELSA RV-12 is ground adjustable. Go EAB and you can put anything you want on there. You're right about the engine. Ridiculous. You could buy a car with twice the horse power for the cost of the Rotax 912 ULS. The Dynon Skyview EFIS ain't cheap either.

      Delete