Natomas Follies

VSB - very slow build

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Rudder Spar Assembly Part 2

For the next step the bottom rib gets trimmed and attached to the rudder horn, which is where the rudder cables will eventually attach.  I managed to mess that up by using too many of the wedges that are used when a rivet hole is close to a flange or other obstruction.  Once I got the bad ones drilled out, that is the two that are closest to the rudder horn, I used two wedges instead of three on the rivet post, and that worked just fine.  The other six were solid rivets, and they went in just fine too.  Once that was done I masked off the rudder horn, which is powder coated at the factory, and primed the rib with a rattle-can.

After that there were three rudder ribs to add on to the spar which were quick and easy using the pop rivets.

Based on my location in sunny Sacramento I probably don't need to prime the alclad aluminum, but who knows, it may delay any future corrosion problems.  Or trick a future potential buyer that a lot of effort and fancy material was spent priming the internal structures (there wasn't).  Here's a picture of yours truly priming the rudder skeleton (well most of it anyway) the easy way.
Ran out of primer so I'll have to wait until the auto parts store opens in the morning to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment