Natomas Follies

VSB - very slow build

Friday, July 20, 2012

First Flush Rivet

As we saw earlier, my first round-head rivets worked out well, and the pop-rivets were fairly easy (I've done those before), but my first flush-head rivet didn't turn out so good.

So I had to drill out the first rivet and try again.  Fortunately the drill-out was pretty easy, and I managed to do it without enlarging the hole.  The remaining rivets on the upper spar caps (and nut plates behind the spar) were okay.  The Cleaveland Main Squeeze rivet squeezer takes a bit of skill to use on these tiny rivets and so eight small rivets took two hours.  At this rate I should have the plane built by, oh, July 2027.


A clamp helps keep things steady while lining up the squeezer on the rivet.  Another pair of hands would be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment