Natomas Follies

VSB - very slow build

Monday, July 2, 2012

Tooling Up

Free.  It's such a nice word.  Rhymes with "me" and "glee".
I'm fortunate to work with an RV-7 builder that had opted to stop building and offered to let me borrow his tools for free!  Saturday I picked up a nice nice assortment of his airplane building tools including a band saw, drill press, bench grinder, rivet squeezers (pneumatic and hand), air drill and a bench belt/disk sander.  Plus an additional shop bench (with a bench vise already bolted on) and a small parts rack with many of the slide-out containers pre-labled with the same rivet #s that the -12 uses.  Bench grinder came with a Scotchbrite wheel which is handy for trimming and deburring alumninum parts.  I have only a vague idea of what task some of the other tools perform but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.  To top off this Christmas-in-July my next door neighbor is loaning me his air compressor for the minor cost of mowing his front lawn, which only takes an extra five minutes and which I've already been doing for the last ten years for free anyway ("for free" if you exclude the 15 times a year I ask him to help me lift something heavy, or borrow his power tools and other stuff, including space in his "big" garbage can on pickup day when my "small" can gets too full).
I'm also pleased to report that I got the parts inventory done over the weekend and rearranged stuff to make space and make sure nothing expensive-looking gets shop rash. All parts were accounted for.

The spaghetti of electrical plugs kinda reminds you of Clark Griswold's house at Christmas, don't it?  Just hope nobody hits the garage door opener while the air compresser is running.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, this is all so wonderful! Praise be to God! Hopefully not having those additional expenses will speed things right along!
    ♥♥♥ Sis

    ReplyDelete